Which feature strikes you the most when you meet a stranger? For some people it could be the eyes, or perhaps the hands, right? But for most people, it’s your smile. A beautiful smile can be an unforgettable experience that leaves you mesmerised.
Not everyone has the good fortune of a beautiful smile. Unresolved dental problems can leave you feeling ashamed and unwilling to show your teeth. That’s why porcelain veneers could be a consideration if you’re dealing with dental issues.
Here are five truths about porcelain veneers you might not have known.
Value for Money
Porcelain veneers will radically transform your face at the fraction of the cost of major cosmetic surgery. The only other cosmetic procedure with longer-lasting benefits and instant results is a facelift, which is far more expensive.
You derive value because:
- You won’t have to replace the porcelain veneers often. It will last you up to 15 years if you look after it.
- Porcelain is a durable material that can withstand chipping and cracking, so fewer visits to the dentist.
- It debunks the false promises of many teeth whitening products and will always maintain its white appearance for years to come.
Stronger, Healthier Teeth
Besides the aesthetic value of porcelain veneers, it also helps to protect your teeth and improve the overall health of your gums & teeth. Here’s how:
- Protection against decay: It doesn’t eliminate the risk of tooth decay completely but substantially minimises the risk. The thin porcelain veneer sheet covers your teeth and provides better protection against decay.
- Support for damaged teeth: Veneers can provide structural support to damaged teeth which improves your overall bite. By aligning damaged and cracked teeth it gives your teeth more stability
- Versatile: Porcelain veneers can be shaped and moulded to match & improve the appearance of your teeth. It’s strong enough to withstand teeth staining and cracks.
It has been reported that some people experience enhanced sensitivity to hot or cold consumables after getting porcelain veneers. This may differ from person to person but it’s worth knowing before getting it done.
Enhanced tooth sensitivity may be experienced straight after getting it done but it can go away after some time. Also using the right products for tooth sensitivity will manage the discomfort of these sensations.
The main reason people opt for porcelain veneers is because of their staying power and ability to instantly transform your appearance. ‘A white, bright smile that’ll last you more than a decade’. That’s the promise dentists make when offering you porcelain veneers. But can it truly combat ageing? Let’s look at the different ways it can slow down the ageing process:
- Discolouration: Some experts claim the secret to a youthful appearance lies in your skin tone. Even, brighter skin makes you look younger and the same holds true for your teeth. Discolouration of your teeth happens as you get older because of all the staining of food and drinks over the years. Porcelain veneers give you perfect white teeth instantly which makes it difficult to tell your age.
- Tooth gaps: A lucky few can pull off a tooth gap, right? For most, a tooth gap is unattractive and makes you look older. Orthodontic treatments from calgary orthodontists are one way of fixing gaps in your teeth, but what if you don’t have the time or money for drawn-out orthodontic treatments? Porcelain veneers can instantly close the gaps and give you a more even smile that’ll brighten up your face.
- Cracks and chips: A sure sign of your age can be found in the chips and cracks your teeth had to endure over time. These obvious markers can reveal your age straightaway. Porcelain veneers are a sound alternative to fix cracks and chips.
Porcelain Veneer Aftercare
There’s practically no recovery time after the veneers have been inserted. As soon as the anaesthetics wear off you can eat and drink normally. But it’s important to continue healthy oral habits after getting porcelain veneers.
Even though porcelain veneers don’t need any specific aftercare practices you should continue with these hygienic practices:
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash after brushing
- If you clench or grind your teeth when sleeping, rather get a retainer to protect your teeth
- Floss daily
- Avoid any drinks or foods that can cause stains
- Never bite or chew your nails or any hard item that can cause breakage
- Regular dental check-ups are a must
It’s not vanity to want to look good and feel great about your appearance. We all do. Looking good is one way of taking care of yourself. Investing in porcelain veneers can give you instant results and take years off your appearance.
We’ve provided you with the facts. Now it’s up to you to make the final decision. Let us know if you found this information helpful and how you feel about porcelain veneers, by leaving a comment below.
Remember your smile can brighten up someone’s day.