Governor Cooper has just announced plans to officially move the state from Phase 2.5 to Phase 3 this coming Friday as COVID-19 numbers continue to decline across North Carolina.
The new phase will mean that outdoor venues will be allowed to restart live events, and movie theaters, bars, and amusement parks will finally be allowed to reopen.
During today’s announcement Governor Cooper also talked about the possibility of allowing school students to go back to full in-person learning if numbers continue to decline.
“Our top priority remains getting children back to in-person learning. This month marks a major shift for many families now and in the coming months as schools open their doors, some for the first time since the pandemic,” said Governor Cooper. “The virus continues to spread, so we must take the next steps methodically, and responsibly.”
You can watch Governor Cooper’s entire press briefing here:
The new Phase 3 provisions include the following:
- Large outdoor venues with seating greater than 10,000 may operate with 7% occupancy for spectators.
- Smaller outdoor entertainment venues, like arenas or amphitheaters, may operate outdoors at 30% of outdoor capacity, or 100 guests, whichever is less.
- Movie theaters and conference centers may open indoor spaces to 30% of capacity, or 100 guests, whichever is less.
- Bars may operate outdoors at 30% of outdoor capacity, or 100 guests, whichever is less.
- Amusement parks may open at 30% occupancy, outdoor attractions only.
- The limits on mass gatherings will remain at 25 people indoors and 50 people outdoors.
- The 11 pm curfew on alcohol sales for in-person consumption in locations such as restaurants and outdoor bars will be extended to October 23.
What do you think about our state moving to Phase 3?