NC Governor Josh Stein just signed Executive Order No. 36 in an attempt to address North Carolina’s severe housing cost and shortage crisis. The order aims to boost affordability and supply, but it could bring unintended consequences for local control and infrastructure.
North Carolina currently faces a projected shortage of 764,000 homes by 2029. The state led the nation in new residents last year and announced $24 billion in capital investments. Half of renter households now spend more than 30% of their income on housing.
The order creates a Senior Advisor for Housing Policy position in the Governor’s Office. Janneke Ratcliffe will lead development of a comprehensive statewide housing strategy. She must deliver initial goals within 90 days and report progress twice a year.
The new executive order now forces state agencies to prioritize housing in their decisions. They will appoint “housing leads” and coordinate across plans for homelessness, reentry from prison, aging, and economic development. The order directs use of data and technology to identify underused state land, streamline information, and support transit-oriented development.
Stein highlighted the need for more homes of all types. “Too many families are struggling to make rent or afford a home,” he said during the signing.
“Too many families are struggling to make rent or afford a home,” said Governor Josh Stein in a press release. “This executive order directs a whole-of-government approach to get more homes of all types built and make homeownership more accessible and affordable for North Carolinians.”
Potential Benefits
The order focuses on workforce training, historic rehabilitation, rural water infrastructure, and supportive housing for veterans, people with disabilities, and justice-involved individuals. It also evaluates state-owned properties for housing potential.
Risks and Concerns
- Strain on Local Infrastructure — Pushing more development without guaranteed funding for roads, schools, water, and sewer could overload fast-growing areas like Charlotte, Fort Mill, and York County. Traffic congestion and higher local taxes often follow.
- Weakens Local Control — The order encourages alignment with state goals. This may pressure cities and counties to approve higher-density projects even when neighborhoods oppose them.
- Focus on Subsidized Housing — Heavy emphasis on supportive housing and populations with complex needs could divert resources from middle-income and workforce housing that most new residents need.
- Bureaucratic Layers — Creating a new Senior Advisor and dozens of departmental housing leads adds meetings and reports. Results may come slowly while the shortage worsens.
- No Immediate New Housing — The order changes no zoning laws and adds no direct funding. Real progress still depends on the General Assembly and local governments.
- Long-Term Reversibility — Executive orders expire or get rescinded by future governors. Critics say sustainable solutions require legislative zoning reform instead of top-down coordination.
Charlotte-area residents already feel the pressure. Rapid growth has driven up prices and strained schools and roads. Many worry that state-level mandates could accelerate development in unsuitable locations without proper safeguards.
The order runs through June 30, 2029. Its success will depend on whether the new Senior Advisor can convert planning into actual homes on the ground.
