As the novel coronavirus COVID-19 continues to increase around the Carolinas, an ever-widening number of organizations are making the decision to cancel events in order to limit the risk of community spread.
Here are the canceled events around the Charlotte region (in alphabetical order):
– Charlotte Checkers hockey games have been canceled.
The AHL has announced that it has suspended play until further notice.
Accordingly, home games against Providence originally scheduled for this weekend will not be played as scheduled.
— Charlotte Checkers (@CheckersHockey) March 12, 2020
– Charlotte’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade scheduled for this Saturday has been canceled.
— Mecklenburg County (@MeckCounty) March 12, 2020
– Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools are canceling their career fair, sporting events, and all after-school programs.
– Davidson College is canceling all classes canceled through Tuesday, March 17.
Davidson College is taking significant, immediate steps to switch to remote instruction. More information from President @carolquillen on the decision –> https://t.co/bQf7aLHUhC pic.twitter.com/1Z8Ivr4DJG
— Davidson College (@DavidsonCollege) March 12, 2020
– Get Your Rear In Gear 5k has been canceled for March 28th
View this post on Instagram
EVENT CANCELLATION – Get Your Rear In Gear 2020 Given the growing concerns around COVID-19, we have made the very difficult decision to cancel Get Your Rear in Gear – Charlotte. We must prioritize the health and safety of our patients, survivors, caregivers, sponsors, volunteers, employees, and everyone who helps make this event possible. This decision was made after careful consideration of the recommendations surrounding large scale gatherings, and in consultation with the local event committee and health care professionals. We remain committed to the city of Charlotte, where we’ve hosted Get Your Rear in Gear for over 10 years, and to the colorectal cancer community at large. Every year, we grant the money raised at this event to Novant Health Presbyterian, Atrium Health Foundation, Wind River Cancer Foundation, Chester County Literacy Council, and Care Ring for programs that provide colorectal cancer screening to our community and support patients living with this disease. Coronavirus restrictions may jeopardize some of the Colon Cancer Coalition and Get Your Rear in Gear – Charlotte’s grantees ability to carry their important work. This year, we are looking to our community, our Coalition, to continue to support these community partners through fundraising efforts and additional donations. We will leave the fundraising portion of the event open through June 30, 2020. Please be especially generous with the support of an additional financial gift. We don’t want this virus to halt our ability to continue colorectal cancer screening and patient support programs in Charlotte. Get Your Rear in Gear – Charlotte is an incredibly important event for the Colon Cancer Coalition and it’s our favorite way to celebrate our community in Charlotte. Every year, we look forward to gathering to support colorectal cancer patients, survivors, and their families. Together we make a real impact on colorectal cancer screening rates and saving lives through the funds raised. We are committed to returning in 2021. Look for that date to be announced soon!
– Harrison Church services for this weekend and next weekend have been canceled.
In response to a letter from our bishop, worship services at Harrison Church are canceled 3/15 and 3/22. However, a digital worship service will be posted Sunday morning at 11 am on Vimeo – https://t.co/NKflGG72c0.
Learn more at https://t.co/bOHfqLjdGw pic.twitter.com/Sbazn2XQuU
— Harrison Church (@harrisonumc) March 13, 2020
– Elevation Church services for this weekend have been canceled.
– Forest Hill Church services have been canceled for this weekend.
– Michael Bublé’s Charlotte concert scheduled for March 18th has been canceled.
Michael’s run of US tour dates beginning March 17th through April 5th have been postponed, with new dates in the same markets to be announced shortly. Tickets will be honored for the rescheduled shows. pic.twitter.com/VImYY4Co9r
— Michael Bublé (@MichaelBuble) March 12, 2020
– Mexican National Team’s Charlotte match at The Bank of America Stadium on March 26th has been canceled.
– The 2020 NERP-POSE Conference scheduled for March 19-22 in Charlotte has been canceled.
UPDATE: Charlotte Pride has canceled next weekend’s @interpride NERP-POSE Conference bringing together 200 reps from three dozen U.S. East Coast, European, Canadian, and Australian Pride orgs. Plus more details on other community events. #COVID19 https://t.co/vX9DalIf6D
— Charlotte Pride (@cltpride) March 13, 2020
– Rich and Bennett’s St. Patrick’s Day Pub Crawl has been rescheduled from this Saturday to June 27th.
— Rich & Bennett (@RichandBennett) March 12, 2020
– USNWC’s Green River Revival has been canceled for March 14th.
Please send additional cancellations to [email protected] and I will add them to this list.