LeadSafe Charlotte recently sent out the following press release:
- Nearly half a million children living in the United States have elevated blood lead levels that may cause significant damage to their health.
- Lead paint, the primary source of lead poisoning, creates invisible lead dust and paint chips, which can cause permanent damage to the developing central nervous system if ingested or inhaled.
- Children under six years old are most at risk for lead poisoning.
The City of Charlotte’s LeadSafe Charlotte program is leading the way in protecting children from the dangers of lead by educating families and providing information on the hazards of lead exposure. The program also provides grants to assist eligible Charlotte homeowners with addressing unsafe lead paint conditions that pose a potential health hazard to young children.
Some of the services offered to those who qualify include:
- Free lead inspections at your home
- Free blood testing of children (finger stick)
- Free remediation of lead hazards at your home or rental property
Please help spread the word!