Everything you love about Open Streets 704 is back for four hours on Sunday, April 19, as Charlotte’s NINTH afternoon of car(e) free streets returns to its popular NoDa-to-Plaza Midwood route!
A record-breaking year of engagement saw more than 52,000 people stroll, roll, bike, and dance through neighborhoods of Belmont, Optimist Park, Villa Heights, Wilmore, Seversville, and Dilworth, and Open Streets 704 is excited about doing it again. Both Fall and Spring events set new records!
“Open Streets 704 is the largest event in Charlotte focused on community health and civic engagement,” says Scott Curry, Active Transportation Coordinator for the City of Charlotte. “And as always, it is 100% free to participate.”
Popular features you can expect this Spring:
- Veterans Park returns to the route, packed with fun family activities from Mecklenburg County Park & Recreation
- BOOM! Charlotte will bring its innovative visual and performance art outdoors as part of its 3-day festival
- Open Streets 704 will once again be a signature part of BIKE! Charlotte, which celebrates its 20th year this year
- The route lets patrons explore Little Sugar Creek Greenway in Belmont — part of the growing Cross Charlotte Trail as it connects more of Charlotte than ever
- Street painting projects, B-Cycles, food, games, and street performers all return for this twice-a-year fun afternoon!
“Open Streets 704 offers a multicultural, multigenerational, and multilingual Charlotte experience for our diverse participants,” touts Curry, noting 86 organizations hosted activities during the free fall event for all ages.
Partners for Parks will once again join city and county agencies to coordinate its signature event.
“We’re very excited about Veterans Park being added back to the route,” says Partners for Parks Treasurer Al Brown. “And we can’t wait for participants to see a beautiful section of the Greenway through Belmont and Optimist Park.”
What: Open Streets 704, an afternoon of car(e) free streets
When: Sunday, April 19, 1 – 5 p.m.
Where: Check out the route! openstreets704.com/route
Why: Because it’s fun! And 30,000 of your closest friends will be talking about it Monday morning