Planning to take a relaxing beach trip this summer? One North Carolina beach was recently ranked as the #2 best beach in the country.
Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach in North Carolina’s Outer Banks came in just behind Kapalua Bay Beach; Maui, Hawaii (#1) and just ahead of Grayton Beach State Park, Florida (#3)
According to the site, “Ocracoke, once the home of Blackbeard the pirate, is still a special place—it is my favorite getaway beach. Here you will find some of the wildest beaches in the country. Big surf dominates in late summer so families with children may want to come earlier in the year. Don’t expect to play golf or stay at the Ritz; the main pursuits are swimming and beachcombing.”
Here are the top 10 beaches according to Dr. Beach
10. Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
9. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
8. Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
7. Caladesi Island State Park Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
6. Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outerbanks of North Carolina
5. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
4. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
3. Grayton Beach State Park Florida panhandle
2. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
1. Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
If you do head out to the beach, make sure to watch out for the extremely poisonous Portugese Man ‘O Wars that have been spotted last summer along Carolina beaches.
Have you been to Ocracoke? What are your thoughts?