Huntersville BMW Spontaneously Combusts in Driveway

4815

Yesterday morning at around 10:30am, a Huntersville resident’s BMW suddenly burst into flames. The picture to the right was uploaded to Facebook by Kate Dillon, a neighbor to the BMW owner.

According to neighbors, the car was in park with the engine turned off in the driveway of a home in Cabarrus Crossing in Huntersville;

While some neighbors thought that foul play may have been involved, possibly arson, the BMW most likely burst into flames due to faulty components that are now under recall, including a faulty Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Valve Heater and Blower-Regulator Wiring Harness.

NHTSA Safety Recall Report: PCV valve by Pete Madden on Scribd

NHTSA Safety Recall Report: Blower motor system connectors by Pete Madden on Scribd

ABC News recently launched an investigation and found that more than 40 fires occurring in parked cars across the country in the last five years involving vehicles that did not have open recalls for fire-related issues.

One of the fires happened in New York’s Westchester County after a 2003 BMW had been sitting parked for several days.

“The owner told us that the car had been parked for at least four, three or four days,” Mamaroneck Fire Chief Tracey Schmaling told WABC investigative reporter Jim Hoffer. “Which we thought was a little peculiar.”

Please help spread the word to anyone you know with a BMW.

Comments

comments