With the NBA All-Star Weekend ramping up and city officials now expecting over 150,000 fans to descend on our city, CMS has just announced they’ll be letting out 5 area schools early today.
School officials cited transportation concerns that could arise from the significant increase in traffic.
According to an official statement, CMS will dismiss all students at 12:15 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 15 in the following schools:
- Chantilly Montessori School, 701 Briar Creek Road, Charlotte
- Elizabeth Traditional Elementary School, 1601 Park Drive, Charlotte
- First Ward Creative Arts Academy, 715 N. Caldwell Street, Charlotte
- Irwin Avenue Elementary School, 329 N. Irwin Avenue, Charlotte
- Metro School, 405 S. Davidson Street, Charlotte
Their statement went on to say, “CMS consulted with the City of Charlotte Department of Transportation and local law enforcement to assess and make plans to help ensure safe transportation for our students. Many roads will be closed in the uptown area and heavy traffic congestion is expected during upcoming NBA All-Star activities on Friday, February 15 and throughout the weekend. The primary concern areas are Independence near Bojangle’s Arena and the uptown area around the time for CMS afternoon dismissals in or near these areas. ASEP, the after school care program, will continue for students at these schools as we know many parents rely on these supports.”