The Charlotte Douglas Airport has partnered with the Arts & Science Council to find local artists to design artwork for several concourses.
Over the last 20 years, the presence and growth of Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) has resulted in CLT becoming not only one of the busiest airports in the U.S., but in the entire world. With a forward-thinking philosophy, and a focus on constant growth, CLT sees itself as an airport of the future. Charlotte Douglas International Airport is one of the nation’s 10 busiest airports.
As part of CLT’s ongoing terminal improvement program, airport concourses will be refurbished in phases to introduce new flooring, wall finishes, new ceilings, a new public address system and improved LED lighting. Work will begin first in Concourse B and move to Concourses A, C and D. This project will bring new life to the 35-year-old terminal building.
Each artist or artist team selected by the ASC will be paid a fixed fee of $7,500 per completed original artwork delivered to ASC in a format suitable for digital reproduction.
The Arts & Science Council (ASC) is accepting qualifications from experienced and emerging artists residing in Mecklenburg County for inclusion in a pre-qualified artist pool for various mural design opportunities planned for the refurbished concourses of CLT.
Artists selected from the pre-qualified pool will be responsible for creating original artwork in a scalable electronic format that will be printed on Custom High Pressure Laminate (HPL) and installed on site by ASC with input from the artist. This call represents a phenomenal opportunity for local artists to create original artworks for the enjoyment of local, national, and international audiences.
Pre-qualified artists selected from the pool and recommended to PAC will be asked to deliver designs for artworks that meet the following standards:
• Contribute to a strong and coherent visual identity for the Concourse where it is to be installed.
• Represent new and original artwork created by the artist specifically for the location where it is to be installed.
• Celebrate the Charlotte-Mecklenburg region—ASC invites and encourages creative approaches as this objective is open to artistic interpretation.
• Artwork should be appropriate for viewing by a general public comprised of diverse backgrounds. Examples of non-appropriate imagery include artwork with religious and sexually explicit content.
• A broad range of media (painting, photography, digital media, design) and styles (figurative, representational, abstract or non-objective) will be considered.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Friday, August 11, 2017 by 11:59 p.m.
Applications are available through SlideRoom (https://asc.slideroom.com), an online application system for calls for entry. There is no fee to submit qualifications. Applications will not be accepted after the August 11, 2017 11:59 p.m. (EST) deadline.
Visit asc.slideroom.com and sign up for an account. Applications must be received via SlideRoom by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Savings Time on August 11, 2017. There is no application fee to apply or use the SlideRoom online application system. The following materials will be required to be uploaded to SlideRoom:
• Artist Statement: Briefly describe your experience, philosophy and approach to artmaking, and specifically your interest in public art. Also, please succinctly address why you believe your artwork will make a memorable and affirmative contribution to the public art program at CLT Airport.
• Resume: a resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV) demonstrating professional history and skills as a professional artist (maximum 2 pages).
• Images of Past Work: up to ten (10) images of recent work completed within the past five (5) years.
• Annotated Slide List: titles, date, media and dimensions of artwork. FOR QUESTIONS REGARDING THE RFQ For further information regarding the RFQ, please contact Marcus Mitchell, Program Director, Public Art at CLT, at (704) 330-0196 or by email at email@example.com.