The ACC has just released a statement saying they will be pulling all their neutral site championships out of the state of North Carolina because of House Bill 2 (HB2). This includes moving the ACC championship football game that was set to be played at the Bank of America Stadium on December 3rd.
This would have been Charlotte’s 6th year of hosting the game, and it was set to be played in the Queen City every year through 2019 (and most were hoping that it would continue even beyond that).
In their official statement they note, “As members of the Atlantic Coast Conference, the ACC Council of Presidents reaffirmed our collective commitment to uphold the values of equality, diversity, inclusion and non-discrimination. Every one of our 15 universities is strongly committed to these values and therefore, we will continue to host ACC Championships at campus sites. We believe North Carolina House Bill 2 is inconsistent with these values, and as a result, we will relocate all neutral site championships for the 2016-17 academic year. All locations will be announced in the future from the conference office.”
North Carolinians on both sides of HB2 are furious at the announcement. Many who want the HB2 law changed feel that punishing citizens isn’t the way to go.
The #ACC is discriminating against states that discriminate.
— Adam Butler (@AdamButler__) September 14, 2016
‘Historically bad:’ ACC pulls championships from NChttps://t.co/U1agZt6Jz0
Greed is decision to move “sports” from N.C.,other states reap $
— Ashley Robbins (@arob515jr) September 14, 2016
The Panthers even released a statement which basically says that they’ve always allowed transgender individuals to use the bathroom which they identify with, and that they will continue to stand against discrimination of all forms at the Bank of America stadium:
Statement on ACC Decision pic.twitter.com/M1HoONgwQZ
— Carolina Panthers (@Panthers) September 14, 2016
Those who don’t want to see any changes made to HB2 are even more upset at the ACC leaving.
The NC Values Coalition just released the following statement: “Today there are too many politicians willing to abandon their closely held beliefs and principles in the face of adversity. People want leaders who will stand up for what is right. How much is it worth to prevent the sexual assault of one little girl in a public bathroom or locker room? That is the question that State Senator Tamara Barringer ought to ask herself. North Carolina has stopped a dangerous local government trend to sacrifice the safety, dignity, and privacy of our children in public bathrooms, locker rooms, and showers just to advance a progressive sexual agenda. The ACC and NCAA announcements are an attempt to force the State of North Carolina to sacrifice our children’s safety on the altar of political correctness, and legislators who voted to stop this trend should think twice before they abandon our children.”
We posted a poll on our Twitter, and so far, out of 600 votes, 45% agree with them leaving, and 55% think the ACC should stay:
Do you think the ACC should have pulled out of North Carolina?
— Charlotte Stories (@clt_stories) September 14, 2016
Do you think the ACC should pull out? Please comment below with your thoughts: