Over a dozen local activist groups will be uniting this evening in Uptown Charlotte to protest what they are calling the ‘war on immigrants’.
According to their Facebook event, the vigil is being called “End the war on immigrants,” and it’s currently scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m. this evening in First Ward Park.
“Please Join us as we gather at First Ward Park to hold a Rally with a candlelight vigil to follow demanding that we keep families together and out of jail. ❤”
The activist groups are specifically demanding that;
– The Trump administration must end the war on immigrants
– Families must be reunited and allowed to apply for asylum outside of detention centers in the United States
– Our local, state, and federal elected officials must defend due process for these families
– Our local, state, and federal elected officials must be proactive in their defense of these families
– Attorney General Jeff Sessions and DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen must resign
– Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) must be abolished
Tonight’s vigil is being hosted by; The Latin American Coalition, The Coalition for Cultural Compassion , Shining Stars Academy, Indivisible Charlotte, Comunidad Colectiva and Action NC, and supported by; Charlotte Women’s March, Next Gen America, Indivisible NC District 9, Our Bridge, Carolina Jews For Justice Greater Charlotte, League of Women Voters Charlotte, National Organization for Women, Temple Israel ACLU, Queens University of Charlotte Stan Grenspon Center For Peace and Social Justice, and Temple Beth El.
You can find out more info on their Facebook Event Page here.