The Town of Davidson is about to give away $10,000 to a local business in order to increase local investments.
The ‘Davidson Main Street Business Grant‘ was initially started 2 years ago in an attempt to spur on local marketing, and it certainly did the trick. Kindred Restaurant was the first recipient of the grant, receiving a total of $10,000 from the town back in 2015.
The restaurant has now been featured in publications across America as being one of the best restaurants in the south.
This year’s grant program includes the following terms:
- ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS
Grant money shall be available to designated retail businesses in Davidson’s local historic district defined in the Town of Davidson’s planning ordinance as retail: Uses in which the principal use of purpose is the sale of goods, products, merchandise, or services directly to the consumer.
- ELIGIBLE ACTIVITIES
- Funds may be used to support the rehabilitation of properties or for new construction.
- Funds must be used for exterior or interior improvements that are permanent. For example, funds may be used for windows, floors, etc. but not used for tables and chairs.
- Projects must spur private investment.
- Projects must provide direct benefit to small business retention, expansion or recruitment.
- Projects must retain or create jobs in association with small business.
- GRANT AMOUNTS
The Davidson Main Street Business Grant is a reimbursable, matching grant program. The Town of Davidson is authorized to award grants totaling no more than a maximum of ten thousand dollars ($10,000) to each eligible business. The minimum grant that may be requested is one thousand dollars ($1,000). Private funds must be committed to match the amount of any grant from the Davidson Main Street Solutions Grant on a basis of a minimum of two dollars for every one dollar provided from the Town of Davidson.
The grant match may constitute a combination of any of the following public or private funding which may include:
- Cash, and/or
- Local community grant, and/or
- Investments, and/or
- The donation of property (an appraisal completed by a licensed appraiser must be submitted to document value)
Past winners of the Davidson grant include:
Main Street Books was awarded $5,000 in FY 2015-16
Upper Crust Bar and Social Club was awarded $5,000 in FY 2015-16
Kindred Restaurant was awarded $10,000 in FY 2014-15
FY 2016-2017 Grant Application
To apply for this year’s 2016-2017 grant, you can complete this the official application here, then submit it to Kim Fleming at firstname.lastname@example.org.