Coroner Announces 16-Year-Old South Carolina Boy Died From Caffeine Overdose

3264

davis-cripe-caffeine-overdoseThe Richland County coroner’s office held a press conference today where they announced that the cause of 16-year-old Davis Allen Cripe was a caffeine overdose.

Davis Allen Cripe collapsed at Spring Hill High School back on April 26 and died soon after arriving at the hospital. Cripe had consumed a large diet Mountain Dew, a latte and an energy drink before his heart “fell out of rhythm,” according to the Associated Press.

“It was so much caffeine at the time of his death that it caused his arrhythmia,” commented Richland County Coroner Gary Watts.

“Based on his weight, the intake of caffeine that he had exceeded what is considered a safe level,” Watts said.

“You can have five people line up and all of them do the exact same thing with him that day, drink more, and it may not have any type of effect on them at all,” Watts said. “It’s not something that just because you drink one drink or three drinks is necessarily going to have this effect on.”

Sean Cripe, Davis’ father, also made an announcement at the press conference.

“Davis was a great kid, and being his parent was a great honor to Heidi [his mother] and me,” he commented. “I stand before you as a brokenhearted father and hope that something good can come from this.”

“Parents, please, talk to your kids about the dangers of these energy drinks,” he continued. “And teenagers and students, please stop buying them.”

 

Comments

comments