We all want to look our best. Most people spend their time and money looking for and buying the best clothes, taking care of our hair, and working out at the gym. Dental care is an area of self-care that is often overlooked, but it is very important. One of the best things you can do for your teeth is to floss daily.
Having a good dental care routine not only helps you look your best. It also has significant health benefits, but only if you take the time to do it regularly and correctly. While you should see a cosmetic and family dentist for a professional evaluation, here are some tips to help you keep your teeth looking great.
Your Daily Dental Care Routine
Experts recommend that your daily dental care routine consists of brushing, flossing, and rinsing with a fluoride mouthwash. You should take care of your teeth for more than just cosmetic reasons. Poor dental hygiene can cause a host of problems, including tooth decay, infections, bad breath, and more.
Brushing and Rinsing
You should brush and rinse twice a day. When brushing, you should use an electric toothbrush and spend at least two minutes, making sure that you brush every tooth. Rinse your brush after you’re done and leave it out to air-dry.
Rinsing should be the last step in your routine. Your mouthwash should contain fluoride for the best results. You should rinse for at least 30-40 seconds and then spit the mouthwash out.
You should thoroughly floss your teeth at least once per day. It is worth taking the time to do it correctly. Experts recommend that you wind an 18-inch strip of floss around two fingers and gently work it between each of your teeth to remove any food particles. If you have trouble working with floss, there are products such as floss picks that can help you get the job done.
Why You Should Floss Every Day
In addition to keeping your teeth looking great, daily flossing provides some significant health benefits:
- Flossing can help control diabetes. A buildup of excess bacteria in your mouth can increase your blood glucose level – a major factor in developing diabetes.
- Flossing can reduce bad breath. Flossing can help reduce the buildup of tartar between your teeth, which improves your breath.
- Flossing can help with gingivitis. Gingivitis, or swelling of the gums, is a painful condition caused by a building of plaque.
- Flossing can reduce the risk of heart disease. Poor oral hygiene can lead to bleeding gums, allowing bacteria to enter the bloodstream and lead to coronary problems.
- Flossing can reduce the risk of respiratory disease. Excess bacteria can travel from your mouth down into your lungs, causing pneumonia, bronchitis, and other respiratory problems.
The best way to get the many benefits of proper, regular dental care is to follow the recommended daily care routine and regularly see a dental professional. Find a good dentist in Charlotte NC and enjoy great dental health. Dentist Charlotte NC | Cosmetic and Family Dentist