Planning to take a relaxing beach trip this summer? One North Carolina beach was recently ranked as the #3 beach in the country.
Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach in North Carolina’s Outer Banks came in just behind Kapalua Bay Beach; Maui, Hawaii (#2) and Siesta Beach; Sarasota, Fla. (#1)
According to the site, “Ocracoke, once the home of Blackbeard the pirate, is still a special place—it is my favorite getaway beach. Here you will find some of the wildest beaches in the country. Big surf dominates in late summer so families with children may want to come earlier in the year. Don’t expect to play golf or stay at the Ritz; the main pursuits are swimming and beachcombing.”
Here are the top 10 beaches according to Dr. Beach:
- Siesta Beach; Sarasota, Fla.
- Kapalua Bay Beach; Maui, Hawaii
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, N.C.
- Grayton Beach State Park, Florida panhandle
- Coopers Beach; Southampton, N.Y.
- Coast Guard Beach; Cape Cod, Mass.
- Caladesi Island State Park/Dunedin; Clearwater, Fla.
- Hapuna Beach State Park; Big Island, Hawaii
- Coronado Beach; San Diego, Calif.
- Beachwalker Park; Kiawah Island, S.C.
If you do head out to the beach, make sure to watch out for the extremely poisonous Portugese Man ‘O Wars that have been spotted last summer along Carolina beaches.
Have you been to Ocracoke? What are your thoughts?