Cheerwine, the iconic, family-owned soft drink from Salisbury, N.C., is thanking its fans for “100 years of cheer” by throwing a legendary anniversary celebration in its birthplace and hometown.
Cheerwine’s Centennial Celebration will take place from noon to 8 p.m. on Saturday, May 20, in downtown Salisbury, N.C., on North Main Street.
“We have the best fans around, and we can’t thank them enough for ‘spreading the cheer’ for generations by introducing Cheerwine to their friends and family,” said Joy Harper, head of marketing for Cheerwine and the great-great-granddaughter of Cheerwine’s founder. “This party is a celebration of our loyal fans, our home state and all of the people who’ve helped make Cheerwine the iconic beverage it is today.”
The Centennial Celebration will celebrate “all things Carolina” with an N.C. BBQ competition, local food, independent bands and more. At the free event, attendees will enjoy:
· Free Cheerwine and commemorative koozies.
· Limited edition Cheerwine merchandise available for purchase starting at noon (limited quantities of commemorative Cheerwine signs and other items).
· Live Music from Time Sawyer, Gyth Rigdon, Empire Brass, Acoustic Syndicate and Room Full of Blues.
· People’s Choice BBQ Competition (from noon-2 p.m.) with Hog Heaven Barbecue, NC Ribs on Wheels, Rocky Top BBQ, Boone’s Barbeque, Smoke & Go BBQ and Sonny’s BBQ. Attendees can sample BBQ from each team and vote for their favorites. Smithfield is the competition’s pork sponsor.
· Food from Cheerwine’s partners and friends, including Krispy Kreme (fresh doughnuts made in its “Hot Now Mobile Store”), Bojangles, Fatz Café, Biscuitville, Cackalacky (which makes a “Cheerwine Sweet Sauce”) and King of Pops (which will offer a Cheerwine-flavored popsicle).
· Biergarten with N.C. craft beer, featuring The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery and New Sarum Brewing Company.
· Family-Friendly Kids’ Zone, with magicians, jugglers, rock climbing wall, obstacle course, slides, bounce house, lawn games and more.
· Free tour of Rowan Museum’s multi-room exhibit celebrating Cheerwine’s 100 years. This will include a visit by the historic 1927 Cheerwine Ford Truck.
· Our State Magazine welcome center.
To RSVP for the Centennial Celebration and to stay up to date on event details and transportation options, visit https://www.facebook.com/