For seven seasons, the Underexposed Film Festival yc (UFFyc) has showcased the best in independent filmmaking from across the world. The UFFyc continues to focus on strength and diversity in storytelling, screening films that feature characters who come to life, giving the audience a glimpse into the creator’s world, and enveloping viewers in the unique elements of each film. The Festival never fails to accomplish its mission, providing an opportunity for both emerging and seasoned filmmakers to screen in the same forum, allowing their work to be viewed and their voices heard while encouraging dialogue between the two. Independent filmmakers around the world are invited to submit professionally presented short films, with a runtime of 35 minutes or less to participate in this juried competition. Films screened at the Underexposed Film Festival yc must be York County, SC festival premieres. Submissions must fall into one of the following categories:
• Narrative | Fictional filmmaking that includes comedy, drama, action, thriller, adventure, fantasy, mystery, sci-fi, western, horror, film-noir, romance, sports, family-friendly, and more.
• Animation | Animated filmmaking – including but not limited to traditional, hand drawn animation, flip book animation, stop motion animation, computer animation, mechanical animation, mixed media, and special effects animation.
• Experimental | Experimental films may be avant-garde, non-linear, non-narrative, or include puppetry. They may include the utilization of abstracting techniques, asynchronous sound, and are not limited by the constraints of traditional filmmaking. But, don’t let us define it for you…
• Documentary | Non-fictional filmmaking that includes cultural, topical and historical subjects.
Awards totaling $2,250 will be presented at the Festival. Awards given to the best of show, as well as the best of each category, with special awards given to the following:
• Cinema Carolina | Best independent film made in North or South Carolina, regardless of category, content, or subject. 75% of the principal photography must take place in North or South Carolina to be eligible for this award.
• Woman to Watch | Best Female Director Award. All female directed films in each category are eligible for this award.
• Best Student Film (High School) | Student films are eligible when created by a student filmmaker enrolled in a 9 – 12 (high school) program while in production. All student films from each category are eligible for this award.
• Best Student Film (Collegiate) | Student films are eligible when created by a student filmmaker enrolled in a collegiate program while in production. All student films from each category are eligible for this award.
• Terry Roueche Audience Choice | Official Selections are eligible for the Terry Roueche Audience Choice Award. At each block that features Official Selections, the audience is invited to vote for their favorite Official Selection. Director’s Choice films are not eligible.
Entry deadlines and entry fees for the 2019 Underexposed Film Festival yc are as follows:
Earlybird: Sunday, October 28, 2018
Standard | $20
Student | $15
Regular: Sunday, November 25, 2018
Standard | $30
Student | $25
Last Chance: Sunday, January 6, 2019
Standard | $35
Student | $30
For festival guidelines and entry information, visit the Underexposed Film Festival yc’s site at Film Freeway at https://filmfreeway.com/
UnderexposedFilmFestivalyc. The films selected for screening will be screened at the Underexposed Film Festival yc, to be held in Rock Hill, SC, March 27 – 30, 2019.
Visit underexposedfilmfestivalyc.org for more information on all UFFyc events and screenings.